Welcome to Shields Under Fire Emergency Services. We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in LaGrange County Indiana whose mission is to assist first responders, veterans and their families with the effects of being involved in a traumatic event or crisis situation. Many times, emergency personnel overlook their mental health and may not realize that there are certain times in which they should seek out someone to talk to. Those events may include but are not limited too:
- Any event that results in a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD), even if no one from our organization participates in the debriefing
- Death of a child
- Multiple casualty incidents
- Fatalities resulting from fires
- Two or more high-stress calls in the same shift
- Employee assaulted by a patient/suspect
- Traumatic work-related injury
- Line-of-duty death
- High-stress phone calls impacting dispatch staff
- Grotesque injuries or deaths such as decapitation, dismemberment or burned beyond recognition.
Our services are geared towards maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and quality when dealing with our nation’s heroes. We currently offer local peer support groups, one on one sessions, conventional and emergency mental health service referrals, emergency on-scene deployment of Emergency Chaplain Response Teams, and suicide awareness & prevention education.
Our Chaplains are trained to respond to emergency scenes and situations with a high level of professionalism and care. Each Chaplain is either a current or previous Firefighter, Law Enforcement Officer, EMS professional, 911 Dispatcher, Clergy or Military personnel/veteran. We know how to respond to your emergency as we too have been there ourselves.
Our Chaplains hold certifications in one or more of the following areas: Firefighter I/II, EMR, EMT-Basic, Licensed Pastor, Emergency Chaplaincy, Crisis Intervention Stress Management (CISM), QPR Instructor (Suicide prevention training), Livingworks, (Suicide prevention training), Mental Health Resilience Officer (MHRO), Christian Life Coaching, Fire Instructor I, II/III,